Call us today 0115 9 100 200

Building regulations – information for home owners

As a homeowner there are often lot of improvements you make to your home.  But did you know that some of those improvements and works may need what’s known as Building Regulation Approval?

This can be the case whether you’re installing new spot lights in your kitchen or bathroom or having block paving laid on your driveway.   Other common household improvement works that must comply are the replacement of a boiler, having replacement windows and doors installed, through to electrical work in kitchens, bathrooms and gardens.

How to obtain Building Regulation Approval

There are several ways to obtain approval:

  • Through your Local Council
  • By using a Private Approved Inspector
  • Have the works carried out by a tradesman who subscribes to a Competent Person Scheme.


Why it’s important

The importance of complying with Building Regulations is necessary to:

  • Ensure the works carried out are safe.
  • Prevent the homeowner being responsible for remedying faulty work if required by the Local Authority (which could be costly!)
  • Prevent problems when you come to sell your home. (As a homeowner you will be required to disclose all works to your Property and to produce the appropriate certificates to your buyer, including compliance with Building Regulations where applicable)

In addition, the person carrying out the works could be prosecuted and fined if they do not comply with Building Regulations.


Unsure on exactly what needs Approval?

If you are unsure as to whether the works you intend to have carried out to your home require Building Regulation Approval, you should contact your Local Council to discuss the matter before starting works or instructing a tradesman to carry out any works to your property.


Keep documents and certificates

If you have any work done to your property you should obtain building regulation completion certificates and keep them in a safe place so that they can be produced easily if you come to sell your house.

If you are intending to sell your property and you do not have the appropriate certificate, you may be able to obtain insurance against the lack of a certificate for a small one off premium.  You must bear in mind that if you have raised the issue with the Local Authority this may affect your ability to obtain insurance.

For more information, or if you’d like help buying or selling your home please contact Nadine Hadwen or any member of our team on 0115 9 100 200, or click here to send an email.

Posted on February 25, 2016

This website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and deliver personalised ads. By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.

More Information Accept All Cookies