The global situation with coronavirus is constantly changing. Although it’s clearly not a time for UK employers to panic, it is worth considering how you will react if the position in the UK worsens.
Here are a few things for you to think about:
- Consider your general health and safety duties – you’re likely to be required not to place employees at undue risk of infection.
- Keep an eye on the latest World Health Organisation and UK Government guidance.
- Consider additional hygiene measures – antibacterial wipes/gels, arrange for equipment to be cleaned etc.
- Pay attention to staff with pre-existing medical conditions, or who are pregnant, who might be at higher risk if they became infected.
- Keep in line with Foreign & Commonwealth Office advice not to allow staff to travel to a small number of specific regions unless it’s essential.
- Consider how you will react if an employee develops coronavirus or refuses to attend work because of the perceived risk of becoming infected.
- Develop a clear communications plan to show your staff that you are considering their welfare and taking a measured approach
Posted on February 28, 2020