Call us today 0115 9 100 200

KFC fined around £1m after workers scalded by gravy

KFC has been fined after two workers in Stockton suffered agonising third degree burns from handling boiling hot gravy.

A 16-year-old was burnt across their arms as a tub of gravy spilled upon removal from the microwave, with CCTV showing colleagues dodging the individual before being sent to hospital alone in a taxi.

A more experienced staff member also received burns in a similar incident a year later, this time spreading all across the body.

The Judge heard that both incidents could have been avoided by use of gauntlets, highlighted in company guidelines. However, a considerable lack of training and guidance on carrying out the process meant this was not the case.

On top of this, CCTV footage showed that in one instance there were no gauntlets available at all; accompanied by only one glove instead of the required two.

The company admitted two charges of failing in a duty of care to employees and was ordered by Teesside Crown Court to pay a £800,000 fine as well as an £150,000 fine.

Sada Naqshbandi, representing KFC, said: “I want to apologise to both, and express regret for their injuries and suffering.”

If you have suffered a burns injury or encountered an accident at a restaurant that wasn’t your fault, you may be entitled to make a No Win No Fee compensation claim. We act for a number of clients who have suffered similar injuries and it is important that you get independent, expert legal advice, preferably as soon as possible, from our specialist lawyers.

Posted on August 4, 2017

This website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and deliver personalised ads. By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.

More Information Accept All Cookies