We’ve been based in Nottingham, the centre of the East Midlands ever since the firm was founded, over 200 years ago. But amid all that history, much has changed. We’re a modern, progressive, ambitious law firm on a journey – and we’d love you to join us!
Actons – at a glance
- A leading independent law firm located centrally in Nottingham.
- Over 55 people including 18 Directors, providing the full range of legal services to organisations and individuals locally and right across the UK.
- We have very experienced people who are a mix of ‘homegrown’ talent, whilst others have joined us with ‘Big Firm’ experience gained from working in large national law firms.
- Member of LawNet – a network of independent UK law firms.
- Member of Eurojuris – an international network of law firms.
- Professionally managed with a commitment to quality – recognised by the LawNet Excellence Mark (ISO:9001).
- Ranked in Legal 500 & Chambers & Partners.
We work together with organisations and individuals locally and nationally providing a range of solution-based, exceptional legal advice – in plain English, so our clients can concentrate on the things that really matter.
Our long-standing reputation is based not only on providing top-quality legal services – but on developing long term, mutually beneficial relationships.
We believe Actons is different from a lot of other law firms and we work hard to live up to our four key values:
Our teams are made up of down-to-earth, talented people who we are all extremely proud of. We work hard to attract and retain like-minded lawyers and business support professionals who have the right personality to fit into our close-knit, friendly team culture. In turn, we’re able to offer people opportunities to work flexibly, promotions, and offer a great work-life balance.
- Client focus
We punch well above our weight with the quality of clients, and we’re very proud of that. By working at Actons, you’ll have the chance to do great quality work for great clients – including some of those included below. We also have a strong focus on marketing and business development, through team and individual marketing plans, believing that everyone has a role to play in attracting and retaining top-quality clients.
Our team structure and management culture make it easy for you to make an impact on the business. Whether that’s through suggesting new ways of doing things, or business development activity that’s going to open doors to new opportunities.
No law firm doubts their integrity. But we believe that we go a step further. As well as applying the principles of openness, honesty, reasonableness and constructiveness to our client work, that’s also a mainstay of our internal culture.
Don’t just take our word for it
We were honoured to be included in The Times Best Law Firms 2019 supplement, that’s on top of rankings in The Legal 500 UK and Chambers & Partners. But that’s not all. Here’s what some of our clients have said about us:
- “I love Actons; they are great. I know that you have to review suppliers every now and then, but we would not want to change them anytime soon. I think that they genuinely like us as people, and we have a good working relationship, which they work hard at maintaining.”
Director – Shredall SDS Group
- “As a charity which operates in highly-regulated areas of service provision, Framework needs prompt, affordable, dependable legal advice. We get this, and much more, from Actons. They understand our needs, and their response is always friendly and balanced. Actons is a highly-valued partner.”
Ex-Head of Property & Development – Framework
- “Actons have worked with Leicester College on employment matters for a number of years. They have a good understanding of our needs as an employer, the work we do and the environment within which we operate. The advice they provide is unfailingly prompt, practical and clear about the actions we need to take and the potential risks for the College. When needed Actons have successfully and effectively represented the College in dealing with Employment Tribunal and other claims.”
Ex-Director of HR – Leicester College
A New Way of Working Together – Hybrid Working
Like many businesses, we have been looking towards the future and how we adapt to a new way of working with fewer or no Covid Restrictions.
We acknowledge that whilst the pandemic has been challenging in many ways, the ability for our colleagues to work from home as well as in the office has also brought opportunities. Whether that’s a reduction in commuting times and the environmental impact that brings, right through to being able to spend time improving wellbeing by getting more regular exercise.
As a progressive firm, we are keen to keep as much flexibility as possible and we trust our colleagues.
Our approach, from 6 September 2021, will be a trial of Hybrid Working, with a simple policy for all our colleagues:
“In relation to when you work your contracted hours and where you work them, i.e. at home or in the office, our only requirement is that you simply do what is right in terms of the needs of your role, having regard to client needs, the needs of your colleagues, your own needs, including your own well-being and the needs of the firm.”
Our Prominent Location
Our office is based on Regent Street in Nottingham City Centre. All our teams are based at 4-8 Regent Street, where the Victorian façade hides the open-plan internal layout of the office which is spread across 4 floors. Working in the same office allows us to know each other and contributes to the culture.
A Bit More About Us
Actons is a little different in its organisational structure as a partnership of limited companies, with 18 Directors and is an alternative business structure or ABS. Our senior leadership team is made up of Chairman Simon Dakin and Chief Executive Chris Murratt, with all Directors and staff playing an active part in the firms continuing development and growth.
Over the years we’ve recruited great people, some of whom have joined from large national practices where they felt stifled, unable to provide the kind of service their clients deserved, and wanted to work somewhere different where they could make an impact rather than being one of many. We also have many leading individuals who are long-serving with the firm and continue to go from strength to strength.
We also see organic growth as fundamental to development and through attracting high-quality candidates as a result of our “hands-on” training, have seen many of our trainee solicitors qualify into the practice and continue their careers with us.
If you’re ambitious, work hard and want to make a difference, Actons is definitely the place for you. Find out about our current roles here.
Our Work in the Local Community
We have a very active CSR programme. On the charity side, we have developed long-term relationships with Framework, Age UK Nottingham & Nottinghamshire, Macmillan and Reach Learning Disability, amongst others. We’re also a sponsor of Nottingham Outlaws, the community rugby league club. In October 2018 and 2019 we held volunteering days, giving 10 people the opportunity to spend a day with the team at Flower Pod, the horticultural base of Reach Learning Disability, and are keen to run more of these volunteering events in the future.
Protecting the environment is a key concern for us and something that is regularly looked at by our CSR Committee. Recently we’ve decided to stop using one-use plastic cups for water, and know there is more to do.
We’re Also Fun!
When we can, we run several firm social events throughout the year. On top of social events to mark the end of each financial quarter, our CSR committee also organises other social events which have recently included crazy golf, quiz nights, pizza making etc. And our social calendar wouldn’t be complete without the annual Christmas party!